Sunday, February 27, 2011

Blog Post #6


The Networked Student
This video was interesting. I liked the technique such as how they clearly illustrated what a networked student was because before this video I did not know what that meant. Also, they used some creative artwork which helped illustrate their point. In some ways I think I am prepared to teach a networked student but in some ways I know I am not because I still have a lot to learn. But since entering this class I have had some good experience organizing and sifting through information which I can relay to my students. Also in this class, I have had some experience with the proper etiquette to use when talking to a professional which I can also teach to my students.

A 7th Grader’s Personal Learning Enviroment
I really enjoyed this video. I was very impressed that a 7th grader could accomplish this video. But, now I have a couple question’s for the EDM 310 staff: what is a glog exactly? It sound pretty cool where can I learn more information about a glog?, Are we going to make a glog for this class? How do you think this 7th graded made this video meaning what was her technique? How do publish a google doc for anyone to see? And lastly, do you know what “special notetaking program” that she is referring to? It sounds useful and I would like to use it in my PLN.
This 7th grader did a great job demonstrating what a PLE is and how to organize one. She organized her much like mine. I too used Symbaloo to organize my PLN. However, there were many things that she used to organize her PLE that I did not know about and now I am interested in learning more about it and applying it to my own PLN. Overall, this video was very impressive.
Critiques for Smartboards
Okay first off let me just say that I completely DISAGREE with the 2 blogs given to us by Dr.Strange who both have negative views on the use of smartboards. Smartboards are great inventions and should be made available to every teacher. But even though I do not agree with their views I can understand where they are coming from, they have some valid points. Such as, smartboards are a very expensive tool. However, they are worth the expense and I am not the only one that feels this way as seen on, Kevin Lane's blog. Mr. Lane does take into consideration that smartboards are expensive and it does take time to train but smartboards are a very useful tool.

2 comments:

  1. Kimberly,
    I liked your response to the networked student video, and am in the same position as you are. I did not really know what it was, but after watching the video I now have a better clue. And I also think smartboards are not as useless as the blogs say. And it does take time to train the teachers to use them not only properly but effectively.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we all need to be prepared for the network student. There are many ways that we can do this and the most important way is to provide the student with a good foundation of technological backgrounds so they will be a better networked student.

    to answer you question about glogs, I think it is best you look at it and explore yourself: Glogster A lot of people use glogster for final projects in this class.

    Good post Kimberly,

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete